Arthur Labinjo-Hughes

Warning: this piece contains content that some readers may find upsetting, in particular references to child abuse and death.

Six-year-old Arthur Labinjo-Hughes endured months of pain and suffering at the hands of his father and father's partner, which ultimately led to his death in 2020.

Last week, his father was jailed for 21 years for manslaughter and his father’s partner was jailed for 29 years for murder.

Sir Peter Wanless, NSPCC CEO, said, "Up and down the country people are remembering Arthur Labinjo-Hughes. Everyone at the NSPCC is utterly shocked and our hearts go out especially to those who sensed something was horribly wrong and tried to get help to him. What happened to him was horrendous and heart-breaking." 

The government has announced a national review into Arthur’s death. We welcome this and will be challenging the government to follow through decisively at all levels of the child protection system.

In 2020/21, the NSPCC helpline received almost 85,000 contacts from adults with concerns about the wellbeing of a child. This was a 23% increase compared to the previous year.

Everyone has a role to play in keeping children safe. This must be a watershed moment in which the UK asks difficult questions about what can be done, nationally, and locally in our own communities, to keep children safe.


Sir Peter Wanless, NSPCC CEO, said: 

17806-exp-2023-01.jpg

"Up and down the country people are remembering Arthur Labinjo-Hughes. Everyone at the NSPCC is utterly shocked and our hearts go out especially to those who sensed something was horribly wrong and tried to get help to him. What happened to him was horrendous and heart-breaking.

At times like this, people turn to the NSPCC for reassurance and advice. It is not easy to find words at times of such emotion so I am hugely grateful to those who have been speaking out for us on TV, radio and in the press in recent days – responding to the verdict and underlining the need for lessons to be learnt and even more importantly, to be acted upon.

On Sunday morning, the government announced a national review into Arthur’s death.   

We agree no stone should be left unturned in working out exactly what took place before Arthur died and whether more could have been done to protect and ultimately save him. We welcome this announcement and will be challenging the government to follow through decisively at all levels of the child protection system."